Once again, it is Monday and most of us are at work or getting ready to go. So I would like to talk about peace in tough places…mainly in the workplace. Peace at work can be difficult, even if you work for yourself. Stress from deadlines, workload, other co-workers, or even the boss can bring us down effecting the way we work and communicate with others. Having a way to find peace, even in the most difficult of situations, can make your day that much better. Here are some simple suggestions:
- Find a quiet place. If you work for yourself or have an office, close the door. If you don’t have an office you can go to the break room, bathroom or even a stairwell (provided you can enter and exit without setting off alarms) will do. The main thing is that the place you choose is quiet and free from distraction.
- Bring a timer. If you’re afraid that you may spend too much time, set your timer for 5 – 10 minutes (depends on your situation) and forget about it. You will be amazed as to how much you can accomplish in a few minutes.
- Clear your mind. Briefly forget about the deadlines and workload that you have piling up. Imagine a box and visually place each of these problems into it and close it.
- Think of something soothing. Once the box is closed, push it away and think of one thing that you find calming. It could be playing the perfect round of gold, sitting on the beach and feeling the water lick at your toes, walking through a field of flowers or even playing with the kids. Whatever it is, it needs to be a pleasant thought.
- Control your breathing. While thinking of your soothing thought, slow your breathing. Purposely breathe in and out deeply slowly. It also helps if you can visualize yourself inhaling good vibes and exhaling good thoughts.
- Stretch. Once you have destressed, it is a good idea to stretch. It helps prevent cramps and increases blood flow.
All of this should take a few minutes. If you would like, you can do this during lunch or even a scheduled 10 – 15 min break. The main thing is to find time to do it in. I do this daily. I go to my room while the children are occupied and take a few minutes to myself. I find that if I do not do this daily, I get easily irritated and the day seems that much longer for me.
If you cannot leave, doing something other than work can also rejuvenate your mind. As long as it is not associated with anything work related and it is something you cannot get in trouble for, by all means take a few minutes to reset. Just set a timer and do what you can. Once the timer goes off, you should feel better.
I hope these tips come in handy. Are there ways that you destress when you are in tough places? Please share.
Have an awesome day and God Bless!